Tuesday, November 17, 2015

Lets hear it for the Whales


I wandered back into art journaling not too long ago.
Just couldn't stay away.
It's just too much fun and it really is a way I can find
my visual voice.
 
It reminds me how much I love the sea
and all the creatures in and around it.
That is where I come from.
I breathe better when I am near salt water.
I see things.
Everything.
It's life.
my life.
So the sea washes into my soul and out into my work
on a regular basis.
When I started to draw,
I drew light houses and sailing ships.
Then there were seashells and fishes.
Now I've traded my fins for feet and live landlocked
with only the river
to remind me
on those days when I need more wet than dry.
 
 
So my art journal holds these secret desires.
Poems and drawings.
I hear my mother singing this poem,
the way adults sing things to children.
Yes, Mother,
I will go down to the Sea again,
and dream of whales and storms.


No comments:

Post a Comment